The 63-year-old former Kingfisher Airlines boss Vijay Mallya appealed to the UK High Court against his extradition order which has been listed for a three-day hearing from February 11 net year, said a UK court on Thursday.

Earlier this month, the fugitive businessman had granted permission by a panel comprised of two judges at the Royal Courts of Justice in London to appeal against the extradition order of a lower court to face fraud and money laundering charges amounting to an alleged Rs. 9,000 crores in India.

A UK High Court official said that “The appeal hearing has been listed on 11 February 2020 with a time estimate of three days.”

Justices George Leggatt and Andrew Popplewell during a hearing on July 2 said that “arguments can be reasonably made” on some aspects of the prima facie case presented by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), on behalf of the Indian government. 

“By far the most substantial ground is that the senior District Judge was wrong to conclude that the government had established a prima facie case,” noted Judge Leggatt. The counsel of Mr. Mallya, Clare Montgomery gave a strong competition which was the main reason that Judge Arbuthnot could come to certain conclusions.

Ms. Montgomery also questioned the acceptability of some of the proof built during the extradition trial at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London. After hearing all of her points the judge allowed her to submit a draft for the appeal to proceed to a full hearing till February next year.

Vijay Mallya stated that he felt “vindicated” by the judgment that he had repeatedly suggested to pay back the money owed to the Indian banks. “I still want the banks to take all their money, do what they have to do and leave me in peace,” he said.

Vijay Mallya had said he felt “vindicated” by the ruling and repeated his offer to pay back the money owed to the Indian banks. “I still want the banks to take all their money, do what they have to do and leave me in peace,” he added.

Related Articles
Next Story
Going Viral
Britain’s Armed Forces’ Size Fallen For Ninth Consecutive Year

Britain’s Armed Forces’ Size Fallen For Ninth Consecutive Year

by Susmita August 16, 2019
The new Ministry of Defence figures has revealed that the size of Britain’s armed forces has fallen for the ninth consecutive year. The Army, the RAF and the Royal Navy have all seen a decline in the number of fully-trained personnel and the Army experiencing the biggest fall. The government called it a “crisis” in recruitment and retention. It has been claimed by the Ministry of Defence that the armed...