Queen Elizabeth II has been shifted out of her royal palace to Windsor Castle on Thursday after a royal aide at Buckingham Palace has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. As per UK media reports, it is not clear how close the royal aide was to the queen but every member of the palace who came into contact with has since been placed into self-isolation.
The 93-year-old monarch was taken out of the palace as a “precaution” after all her engagements were cancelled. Officials have claimed that she is healthy.
A royal official was quoted saying, “The worker tested positive before the Queen left for Windsor. But the Palace has 500 members of staff so, like any workplace, it’s not inconceivable it would be affected in some stage.”
The unnamed aide, has fallen ill after testing positive for the deadly virus earlier this week. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson refused to make any comment on the reports but said they are taking all the essential measures to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Saturday, the death toll from the virus crossed 233. The pandemic has put Britain into a near shutdown with all social venues closed indefinitely and people advised to stay indoors and follow strict social distancing rules.
“We wouldn’t comment on individual members of staff. In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved,” the spokesperson said.
The Queen earlier this week said in a statement, “Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe. I am certain we are up to that challenge.”
“We are enormously thankful for the expertise and commitment of our scientists, medical practitioners and emergency and public services; but now more than any time in our recent past, we all have a vitally important part to play as individuals – today and in the coming days, weeks and months,” she added.