After four consecutive murders, extra police protection was positioned on London streets

Hundreds of extra policemen were posted after the four consecutive deadly stabbing that took place in five days in London.

Stuart Cundy, Police Commander of Metropolitan said that the plan will follow “terrible” few days in the capital, which has experienced a total of 118 murders so far in this present year.

The plan was executed after a Home Office Minister said that a change in the criminal nature was to be blamed for a spike in gang-related violence, rather than cuts on policemen staffing.

Victoria Atkins stated that a review conducted by the government reveals that “the claim about police numbers is not supported by the evidence of previous spikes in serious violence.”

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan said that the Home Office’s owns leaked documents, which highlights links between the rise in crime level and a decline in a number of officers.

Declaring the increase in policemen, Commander Cundy said that the force’s violent crime task force has been carried out by over 21,000 weapons, which are under searches since April. Policemen till yet has seized hundreds of knives and guns.

Mr. Cundy continued that “Tragically, we have had four murders since Wednesday of last week, none of them are connected.”

“That’s four families, four groups of friends and acquaintances, who have all been tragically affected by this senseless violence.”

“We have hundreds of additional duty officers on the streets of every single borough. Only together can we bring down the level of violence in London,” added Mr. Cundy.

After four consecutive murders, extra police protection was positioned on London streets | tnbclive.in

However, Met Police Chief claims that criminal offenses in London are day-by-day rising to the next level.

He continued that “we have had 118 murders in London, they do disproportionately affect young people, but not just teenagers.”

“We are working closely with schools, we need to take more knives off the streets because knife crime is undoubtedly one of the biggest challenges we are facing,” added the Chief.

On Friday, 17-years old Malcolm Mide-Madariola was brutally stabbed outside the Clapham South Tube Station in south London, near to the place he used to seek education.

On Monday, policemen got to hold off an 18-years old boy and 17-years old boy on suspicion of the murder.

After four consecutive murders, extra police protection was positioned on London streets | tnbclive.in

On Thursday, 15-years old Jay Hughes was murdered in Bellingham, southeast London. The victim suffers a stab injury to the heart.

On the day of Halloween, 38-years old Rocky Djelal also encountered a fatal stabbing near a park in Rotherhithe during lunchtime and died out of his wounds.

On Sunday, a 22-years old man was also stabbed in south London’s Anerley.

After four consecutive murders, extra police protection was positioned on London streets | tnbclive.in

Last week, Police Commissioner of Metropolitan, Cressida Dick said that the violent crime had ‘plateaued” and “stretched” forced, which prioritizes serious violence and drug gangs over non-criminal activities as misogyny.

However, the government minister Ms. Atkin has played down those comments said: “We are all, I think, realizing that the nature of the crime is changing.”

“The levels of violence which doctors are now seeing in A&Es show that incidents which before perhaps wouldn’t have resulted in fatalities now are resulting in fatalities.”

“Gangs are behind most of these murders, and the gang leaders are using social media to communicate… using mobile communications in a way that 10 or even five years ago simply wasn’t possible,” added Ms. Atkin.

“We and the police and others have to face up to the reality that criminals are changing their crime types and we have to be able to tackle that.”

Mr. Khan has also warned that it could take 10-years to make important significant progress in London over violent crime.

by Chandrani Sarkar on November 6, 2018

Related Articles